i guess i could be pretty pissed off about what happened to me... but it's hard to stay mad, when there's so much beauty in the world...sometimes i feel like i'm seeing it all at once, and it's too much, my heart fills up like a balloon that's about to burst... and then i remember to relax, and stop trying to hold on to it, and then it flows through me like rain and i can't feel anything but gratitude for every single moment of my stupid little life... you have no idea what i'm talking about, i'm sure. but don't worry... you will someday.


Tuesday, March 16, 2010

ADELAIDE FESTIVAL..APART WE ARE TOGETHER...

TARA DONOVAN.

Untitled. (Styrofoam Cups & Glue)


I'm actually obsessed and in love with Tara Donovan's styrofoam cup piece!.
It's amazing. Everything about it. The ability to make such a dynamic and complex piece of sculpture through the use of such simple and everyday objects. The manipulation of the material used and the way something so simple has been transformed into something extreme and complex. The title of the exhibition this year, Apart We Are Together focuses on this connection and disconnection one may feel when being apart or together with one another. The styrofoam cups convey this, as they are held together, glued together, to create such a large scale piece of work that instantly takes aback the viewer at first glance!. I actually stood and stared at this piece for ages. I couldn't tear myself apart from it. Looking at it from different perspectives also changes alot and pulls you in even more.
Standing on the first floor of the Samstag Museum and looking up, you can evidently see Donovan's piece as though it is staring back down at you. In awe, I decided to view it from the second level of the museum where it becomes more personal and intimate, giving you a whole different perception and feeling. Looking at the piece made from solely styrofoam cups, I couldn't help but just stand there in the same position. I felt excited, intrigued, happy, and fascinated as this dynamic piece of work stood before me. Although I was feeling all these spontaneous and sudden rushes of energy as I studied the work, I couldn't help but feel a certain sense of ease that somehow came over me. I felt comfortable, content, and serene. The piece reminded me of how beautiful things can really be and how something so simple and minimal can be so satisfying and powerful. I also believe it was this connection I had with the sculpture. I have always known that this is the way I would like to work. Playing and experimenting with such simple materials that can create something so amazing. Not knowing the limits it can go to. Just working and working, applying and attaching, transforming, destroying and creating all over again. Hmmm this piece makes me super happy. I dont know but I think it is something that has definately left an impression on me, and I don't think I will be forgetting about it any time soon :) . XOX

No comments:

Post a Comment